|The Port of Porto Alegre
is located 315 km away from the north of Rio
Grande bar, on the left margin of Rio Guaíba.
The first project for the construction of
the Port of Porto Alegre is from 1899. At
the same time the Government was interested
in the construction of the port, it was also
concerned with the improvement of the conditions
of the access channels to Porto Alegre, that
were limited to 2.70m at that time (1908).
The agreement with the French Compagnie allowed
it to claim for the preference for the construction
of the port and for the drags between Porto
Alegre and Rio Grande. The Government of the
State was in charge of two tasks: to get the
authorization for the construction of the
port, which was obtained due to § 1st,
section 60 of the Law no. 2,544, dated of
January 4th, 1912, and to implement the project
that existed since 1910. In 1911 engineer
R. Ahrons was hired to build the first portion
of the 140m wharf and a draft of 4.50m. This
portion was ready in 1913. Later, there were
made agreements to build additional portions
and, in 1921, the State took the responsibility
for the administration of the works and concluded
Although it has been operating since 1916,
the port was officially inaugurated on the
14th of August of 1921, with its own management,
and reporting to the Secretariat of Finance.
The conclusion of the project, including the
docks, was accomplished in 1937. In 1951,
the Port Management was taken on by the State
Department of Ports, Rivers and Channels.
As a result of the flood of 1941, the National
Department of Works and Sanitation - DNOS,
which belonged to the Ministry of Ways and
Public Works - MVOP, programmed a complex
of works to protect the city of Porto Alegre
from a new flood similar to that of 1941.
This complex comprised an embankment to serve
as a basis for a protective dam.
Along the embankment, on Voluntários
da Pátria Street, it was projected
and built a wharf named "Sanitation Wharf
". This wharf is comprised by two kinds
of structure: the heavier one called "Cais
de Navegantes", and the lighter, called
"Cais Marcílio Dias". "Cais
Navegantes", a prolongation of the old
"Cais Mauá", was the commercial
wharf of sanitation wharf. "Cais Marcílio
Dias" was the wharf used for building
materials and sports.
"Cais de Navegantes" was temporarily
incorporated to the concession granted by
an order of the Minister of MVOP in 1955,
and "Cais Marcílio Dias"
in 1957, also temporarily. On the occasion,
the jurisdiction of the area was transferred
from DNOS to the old National Department of
Ports, Rivers and Channels.
Port of Porto Alegre