|The city of Pelotas,
one of the major economic centers in the State,
has always used the transportation on waterways
through the Sangradouro of São Gonçalo
with the purpose of commercial interchange.
Meeting the demands of the economic areas
and according to its political-administrative
orientation, the Government of the State,
supported by the Decree no 18,553, dated of
December 31st, 1928, took the necessary steps
for the construction of port facilities in
Based on a project supplied by the State,
but modified by the proponent, on October
5th,1933, it was signed an agreement with
Costa & Boegh company for the construction
of the port. The work costs amounted to R$
4, 892,346,000, and the project was approved
by the Decree no 1,410, dated of January 22nd,1937.
Management faults led the contractor to bankruptcy
on November 28th, 1936.
Due to the bankruptcy, the agreement was terminated
on the 6th of February 1937. The work started
to be executed with the direct administration
of the state. For that it was created a Committee
of Works for the Port of Pelotas.
On June 24th 1939, through the Administrative
Rule no. 302 of the Ministry of Ways and Public
Works, the exploration of the concluded facilities
was authorized in a regimen of "private
A series of accidents with the wharf caissons
obliged the state to hire, on May 11th 1942,
Grüen & Bilfinger company to make
a new project for the wharf that should be
built in front of the existing one. This project
was approved by the Administrative Rule no.
696, dated of August 6th, 1948 and issued
by the Ministry of Ways and Public works.
On January 17th 1945, the Port Administration,
created on February 21st 1940 by the State
Decree 29, occupied the private piers in operation,
and consolidated the port operations.
In 1951, the State opened a public bid for
the execution of the new project, which was
granted to the National Construction Company
on December 26th,1951. The works were officially
started on February 1st 1952, and interrupted
In 1970, the Port Administration concluded
the works that, in 1951, were taken on by
the State Department of Ports, Rivers and
Channels, which, up to that date, was subordinated
to the Secretariat of Finance.
Port of Pelotas